If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (425) 774-1148

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Causes of Mold Damage

7/13/2021 (Permalink)

Mold spores are microscopic organisms that can enter your home many different ways. Mold can enter your home by being carried in by a human or pet, or your home could be exposed to moisture (storms, plumbing leaks, rainwater, flooding) and humidity. Mold thrives on moisture and can rapidly spread when exposed to wetness. Mold produces a strong musty odor that can help bring attention to the problem or the source of the problem. If the mold problem is not treated quickly then it could cause health effects to both pets and humans. When you suspect mold or have found mold, call professionals immediately. Remediation cannot begin until the source of the water/moisture has been found and stopped. Even if no source of water is found, it is most likely the humidity in the air, if humidity is above 45% then it will allow mold to continue to grow.

You can control your mold several different ways. One of the most effective ways is to control humidity levels. If your humidity levels are high, then you might want to invest in a dehumidifier and place it in a very humid room you suspect mold might be able to grow in. Another method is to fix water leaks around your home. Mold thrives on moisture and any water in your house has the possibility of growing mold. Make sure that your shower, laundry, and cooking rooms have ventilation so there is no steam being left around. Finally, if there is a flood, make sure that your home is thoroughly cleaned and no longer wet by calling in the professionals at SERVPRO of Lynnwood.

When you see or find mold make sure to stay away from the affected areas, turn off HVAC system and air movement devices, then contact SERVPRO of Lynnwood. Some helpful tips on dealing with mold on your own is

1. Not to touch or disturb the mold.

2. Don’t blow air across any affected surfaces with possible, confirmed mold growth.

3. Do not attempt to dry the area yourself.

4. Do not spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.

Leave the mold to the professionals at SERVPRO of Lynnwood; 425-774-1148.

Other News

View Recent Posts